Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Note from Troy

A note from Malawi, Africa
Sunday, 2pm-ish

We are here, now. I couldn't write yesterday because I was just busy doing other things. I was in three different planes crossing the ocean and trying to make it here to Malawi. We didn't have any troubles other than a team member getting sick and being sleep deprived.

Usually, when you are coming through customs, they will ask you a question about your visit. Everyone got an easy question except for me. When I was coming through customs, the lady asked me where I was going. I said "The Rainbow Children's Development Center." She said, "No, which city?" I had NO IDEA, because I was just going to follow the leader until I got to the orphanage. So, I asked Lucas and he didn't know, either. Wayne, our group leader, had gone through first, so he wasn't available to ask. So, that lady held me there until Lucas could go through and have Wayne come back and tell her where it was. Apparently, all I had to say was bunda. We are just a few hundred yards from bunda, which means mountain in Chichewa. There is a college here pretty close called Bunda College. So, after she knew where we were going, I was allowed to go through.

It is almost 2 pm here right now. It's great. The kids are just so kind. Right when we got out of the car, they were all standing there and cheering and yelling. It was awesome. We got here yesterday around 4 pm Malawi Time and 10 o'clock am piner time.

We came here, introduced ourselves, played with cameras and camcorders, played some futbol, sang, did a few foot races, and all kinds of other stuff. It is just such a blessing to be here and see all of this stuff. By the way, these kids are amazing at soccer, futbol. I'm pretty sure they could all play on the Ryle high school team back home in Union and they are like 10 years old.

This morning we had a church service and it was great. It started at 9:30 and went until about 11ish. Brother John raised an interesting point when he talked about how people from Malawi view time. If something starts at 9, they will be late. Time doesn't really matter to them. So, being prompt is just unheard of. So, they will just make sure they get here before they think it will end. It's a lot like how Americans view graduation parties. As long as you show up before the end, it's all good.

Apparently, one of the team members from a different group addressed this in a story. He told them all about how they should be on time because he wasn't going to repeat himself at the end ......... well, he said this story at the beginning of his message. So, the people he wanted to address weren't there yet anyways. lol.

But yeah, it is really great here. Andrew and I have done a video of the orphanage and stuff. We got some great pictures of the plane ride here, too. I was the only one who didn't get some kind of sleep on the plane ride. I went from 5:30 am on Friday in Washington D.C. to 9 o'clock pm on Saturday without sleep. And actually, you have to add another six hours to that because Malawi is six hours away. Amy is keeping a little journal, and she always likes to put what time it is here and what time it is in America, so sometimes she has to ask us what time it is over there because I kept my phone to home time.

Oh, and shane made more raps on the plane with Bridget. Some of them poke fun at me, but keep in mind that they never smelled my feet the entire time they wrote this rap.

I find myself reading a lot of Paul's letters to the Romans and Corinthians. I have really been searching God out and trying to find out what I am supposed to do here. It's been a real blessing, so far, just from being in the presence of these kids and hearing them sing and just watching the joy on their faces. Our group, as a whole, could really feel that there was a separation from the orphanage and the people on the side of the road as we drove by them in the car. There was so much poverty and sadness and people struggling to find enough to get by, but then when we pulled in the gate, it was just a bunch of kids hollering and smiling and all kinds of stuff.

Sorry I can't put up picture and video here. I forgot my cord for my phone, so I can't put up pictures. I also didn't bring any software to download video onto this computer and stuff. So, I will try and put up a few of Andrews pictures sometime soon so that you guys can get a taste of what Africa is like. Then, when I am home, I will definitely put up all of my pictures and videos so you guys can watch them. So, be patient, they are coming.

For those who were concerned about safety at night, it's all good. This is like the safest place for miles and miles. There is a gate all the way around the Rainbow Center. There are two dogs. The windows all have bars over them. The doors have huge deadbolts on them. So, for whoever was concerned about us being attacked at night, rest assured. We are in God's hands and he will do with us what is in his will.Well, I will talk to you guys later.

- Troy (copied from Facebook)

1 comment:

  1. To the Team: It is so amazing to be able to share in your journey through this blog. I am very excited to hear that you all are doing well and are safe! We continue to pray for each of you and how God will use you! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete